Users have posted on Reddit and the Sony Forums on the problems, saying they are left unable to access the game, with only a countdown timer with the message “128 days until available”.
While the majority of those affected are players who pre-ordered the game digitally, other users have also experienced the issue. Other pre-purchasers say that while they have been able to play the game, they have been unable to get to their pre-order bonus content.
A member of Sony Support team said, “Our store team is currently investigating the issue. We’ll update the thread once we receive an update.”
This is a pretty major hiccup, but hopefully it will get sorted soon so people can enjoy Until Dawn. Reviews for the game have been mostly positive, as reviewers love that b-movie feel and its narrative. Even many reviewers who gave it lower ratings said that despite its many flaws, they still really enjoy the game.
Sony have identified a possible workaround in the meantime while the problem persists. If you have any issues, then follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the item on the PlayStation Store
- Purchase the free version of Until Dawn (or if you have that already, another free game/item such as Singstar)
- Download the file to your system (if the file is already downloaded and installed, please skip this step and move to step 4)
- Use the Restore Licenses option by navigating to Settings >> PlayStation Network/Account Management >> Restore Licenses
- Attempt to boot the game. If the game still does not boot at this point, delete the file, re-download and repeat step 4.
Have you played the game? Have you had any problems? If not how are you finding it? Let us know in the comments!