This Thursday, December 17th, the 1997 Nintendo 64 title, Turok will be available in remastered form by Night Dive Studios on PC via Steam, GOG and the Humble Bundle. A new launch trailer shows off what it will now look like. We’ll go find an original video to compare it to in the meantime.
Night Dive Studios are including the following new additions to the remaster of the classic, which at the time was groundbreaking in its graphics, despite the heavy fog.
- Support for high resolutions, and widescreen.
- Improved gameplay and level design.
- OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync.
- Dynamic lighting, bloom, FXAA, enhanced water effects, lights shafts and more.
- vAbility to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs.
- Steam Achievements.
And here’s 10 minutes of gameplay from the original N64 release, if you fancy seeing the difference. It’s weird to think back to those years, and how much of a fan I actually was of the series. I owned Turok 2, which required the 4mb (I think) expansion pack for the N64. I know right? What an expansion pack. I also owned Turok Rage Wars, which was a multiplayer only shooter, which of course didn’t have online mechanics. But, you could play as a raptor though, and that was the selling point to me!