Yesterday, I indulged myself in the latest Xbox Games with Gold title for July, Tumblestone. Of course, it doesn’t bring the same enthusiasm as a free AAA title, but it’s something new and something different.
The first thing that stood out for me was the four player local multiplayer feature, but with a twist. We started off on a game of ‘Puzzle Race’, which sees four players, or AI substitutes battle to win five rounds to win the game. Your goal is to eliminate all of the titles from your board by matching 3 of the same colours and removing them. However, one mistake, and you have to start all over again. It can get very intense when you realize your mistake and victory is only one tile away!
Tumblestone also features a single player campaign quest, along with many other multiplayer modes, as well as modifiers to make the game even harder as you try to learn the bloody thing; something I learned last night! I’ll be spending more time on this in the future, and with the online and offline multiplayer options, it could provide quite a few good hours of competitive gameplay and make for a good change of pace!
Whoever picks the Sausage King to play as is clearly the champion on this game…
- Competitive multiplayer: Tumblestone’s intense puzzle-solving action will turn playing “just a few more rounds” with friends into a late-night Tumblestone marathon.
- Local multiplayer: Up to four players on a single computer or console.
- Online multiplayer: Play online against your friends or make new ones using Tumblestone’s ranked matchmaking system.
- Bots: Have an open slot? Play against the computer. But can anyone withstand the punishing Nightmare bot?
- Story mode: The 40+ hour story campaign will test your puzzle-solving prowess. Featuring 10+ gameplay modifiers, challenge puzzles, and boss battles.
- Arcade modes: Kick back and relax with the casual Marathon mode, scratch an intellectual itch with the Infinipuzzle mode, or get your blood pumping with the fast-paced Heartbeat mode.
- Leaderboards: Online leaderboards let your friends know you’re better than them.
- Quests: Hundreds of unique quests to complete.
- Stats: Rank up, then compare how you stack up against your friends.
- Personalization: Choose from a dozen unique characters and environments.
Tumblestone is available on Xbox One (for free this month), PlayStation 4, Wii U, and PC.