The Long Dark as been in early access for quite a while. In its current state there is only a sandbox mode available in the game. That’s going to change soon as the long awaited story mode has been detailed and is getting a release date in Spring 2016.
The Long dark is an unforgiving survival game based in a post apocalyptic Canadian wilderness after the events of a geomagnetic disaster. The sandbox mode, which has evolved greatly since release is quite fun, but the story mode has been something fans have been patiently waiting for.
The story mode is set to be episodic with the first season launching in Spring next year. The entire season will be released periodically over the year. You will assume the dual roles of bush pilot Will Mackenzie, and doctor Astrid Greenwood, as they struggle to survive the aftermath of the “First Flare” event. Hinterlands Studio Inc have released some details:
- At launch, The Long Dark® will include both the first part of Season One of Story Mode, and the Sandbox Mode. The Story Mode content launching in the Spring will amount to 3-4 hours of gameplay, in addition to the freeform Sandbox mode which offers 100s of hours of open-world exploration-survival gameplay.
- The remainder of Season One will be released in additional 2-3 hour episodes over the course of 2016, until the Season One story arc is complete. The expected play time for the entire Season One Story Mode is between 10-12 hours.
- Players will experience the events of the Season One from the perspectives of two playable characters: bush pilot Will Mackenzie, and Dr. Astrid Greenwood. The story will unfold as the Story alternates between these two characters, with the player experiencing both points of view.
- The core gameplay mechanics of Story Mode are derived from the Sandbox, though specifically tuned for narrative gameplay. Story Mode replaces the Sandbox’s permadeath with a progress-based save system.
- Story Mode will launch with two large features currently unavailable in the Sandbox: Survivors, and The Aurora. Although Story Mode will use much of the existing Sandbox game world, about 25-30% of the Story Mode world will be entirely new areas.
- Kickstarter, Early Access, and Game Preview backers will receive the Season One Story Mode content automatically as it is unlocked. No additional purchase is necessary.
- The Spring launch of Story Mode will mark the end of The Long Dark®’s time in Early Access and Game Preview.
- At launch, the current $19.99 USD “pre-release” price will be increased, to reflect the game’s enhanced content value after more than a year of polish and content updates, plus the addition of Season One Story Mode content.
There was also a massive update to the game in December which includes a new area to explore called Timberwolf Mountain. You can check out the details of the update here and check out the video of the new region below.