Rock Band 4 launches this week, and songs from your previous titles can be installed for the price of free, as long as you are within the same console family. Xbox to Xbox, PlayStation to PlayStation to be exact. The only issue is that you must manually install each and every track. If like me, you spent hundreds on DLC, you may want to start installing the tracks in time for when you buy Rock Band 4.
It will require some work, but below you can find how to find and install the songs from the PlayStation and Xbox Store. Remember, only install songs which say ‘Install’, as the ones with price tags are songs you didn’t own previously. Rock Band 4 is available as of October 6th in the US, but I can’t confirm a European launch date. Another point to note is that like with previous Rock Band titles, all music add-ons will be $2/€2/£1.79 per track. Bundles of tracks will save you some money, so consider those first.
Here’s how to re-download your Rock Band DLC on Xbox One:
- Turn on your Xbox One.
- Sign in to the Xbox Live Gamertag that you originally purchased your legacy Rock Band DLC on.
- Navigate to the Xbox Live Marketplace titled “Store”.
- Select “Search”.
- Search for “Rock Band 4”.
- You will see multiple products for the title. Select the game “Rock Band 4”.
- Navigate to “Add-Ons” and select the ellipses (the big “…” at the bottom of the featured Add-Ons) to view all Add-Ons.
- Select the individual Add-On you want to download. There will be a monetary value on an individual Add-On if you did not previously purchase the product. If you purchased it previously, select “Install”.
- The download should automatically begin. Once completed, you should see that where the “Install” prompt used to be on this individual Add-On, it will now say “Installed”.
- There will be no update to notify you that this content has completed downloading. There is no visible way to confirm if your DLC has been installed to your console until you first launch Rock Band 4 on that console. The content should be on your hard drive, but will remain invisible until you first play Rock Band 4.
- Repeat step eight for as many Add-Ons as you would like downloaded to your console.
And here’s how to do it on PS4:
- Turn on your PS4.
- Sign in to the PlayStation Network ID that you originally purchased your legacy Rock Band DLC on.
- Navigate to the PlayStation Store.
- Under Search, type in “Rock Band 4” and select the “Rock Band 4” Game.
- Navigate to “Add-Ons”.
- Select “View All”.
- From here, you can do one of two things.
- Filter the list to see ONLY “Free” Add-Ons.
- Sort Price by “Low-to-High”.
- You should see individual DLC tracks come up as “Purchased”. These are the entitlements that you are able to re-download based on your account’s purchase history.
- Select the individual Add-On you want to download and select “Download”.
- The download should automatically begin and be added to your PS4 Downloads. Once completed, you should see that where the “Download” prompt used to be on this individual Add-On, it will now say “Installed”.
- You can always check your download history by navigating to Notifications –> Downloads from the PS4 Main Menu!
- Repeat step nine for as many Add-Ons as you would like downloaded to your console.