If you’ve been curious about what it feels like to create your own Super Mario Bros levels in Super Mario Maker but don’t have a Wii U, you’re in luck, because a programmer by the name of LuNey is working on a Fan Project known as “Super Mario Remaker”, which as the name suggests, It’s a fanmade “remake” of the Wii U game Mario Maker, except it only features the SMB1 engine. While the project is still in development and far from over, there’s already a demo available for you to try out!
Currently the demo has the following features:
- Most elements from the original SMB1 + some Super Mario Maker exclusives
- A few elements from SMB2J (The Lost Levels), SMB Deluxe, and Mario Forever
- Full Editor with ability to Save/Load
- 9 Course Themes (Ground, Underground, Underwater, Castle, Ghost House, Ice, Desert, Athletic and Night) + Customizable Theme
- All of the SMB1 style powerups (Mushroom, Fire Flower, Costume Mushroom, Weird Mario)
- Stack enemies on each other (VERY glitchy at the moment)
- Put enemies on blocks
- Costume Mushroom with 100% customizable costumes (with optional ability of shooting projectiles)
- Hotkeys for placing objects (in full version there will be a menu)
- “Shaking Elements” (Right Click)
- Course Bot/World to play courses and special modes (i.e. You VS Boo from SMBDX)
- Interactive Credits Screen
There’s also a “Costume pack” up for download, featuring characters from video games such as LittleBigPlanet, Cave Story or Undertale.
If you’re interested, you can download the demo here. I recommend using one of the two mirrors since the Dropbox link is down.
What do you think 4-One community? Interested in this Fan Project? Would you rather try out the official Mario Maker game? Are you worried about Nintendo sending a Cease-and-Desist letter? Share your thoughts in the comments section.