Gears of War 4 players can rejoice this week, as a bunch of new content is arriving in the coming days. As expected, two new maps will be entering rotation, but on top of that, hundreds of new cards will be available to craft and collect, following Title Update 3.
The Coalition state that the Gears of War 4 update will go live today, Tuesday, but that the craftable cards may not be available right away. They encourage fans to hold onto their in-game credits until further notice, if you’re hoping to find some new items from Series 2.
“Series 2 content will be Craftable once you download the Title Update, but will not be available in Gear Packs for a few hours following the update. If you are looking to acquire new Series 2 content, please withhold from buying Gear Packs until we confirm the Cards are available in the pool.”
Details of the new Gears of War 4 maps will come today, so we will update this post with any further information when it’s available. On another note, The Coalition want to combat rage quitters with the new update. Gears of War 4 is prone to excessive quitters, ruining the fun for those left behind on their team, so hopefully these new measures reduce the rate of mid-match quitting.
[Update] The Coalition has outlined the two new maps, which are both classic fan favourites. The two maps are Blood Drive, and Clocktower. You can see a fly-by of both maps below. Blood Drive was introduced in Gears of War 2 and returned in future titles, while Clocktower is one from the first Gears title, that also saw life in other releases. The new maps will be available today for Season Pass holders, and on January 17th for everyone else, when they go into rotation.
280 new cards make it into Series 2, which includes 13 new characters, some of which you may be familiar with from previous Gears of War titles, including armoured Sam and Anya from Gears 3, and then there’s more of those annoying zombie variations… However, 260 more weapon skins are on the way too, because that’s what you want from your Gears multiplayer experience, right?
“As of TU3, we’re introducing new features as a first phase of updates to combat quitting in Core / Competitive. As of this update, players who quit a Core or Competitive Match will now be suspended from all matchmaking of any kind for a limited time to discourage drop out behavior – with the biggest time punishments going to the first player to quit the match. In addition, the more you quit, the longer the suspension you will receive from playing matchmaking.
If your connection temporarily dropped or your pet tripped the power cable, all is not lost. Players can rejoin the match they left (provided it’s still in progress) for up to 5 minutes from the time they quit through a new ‘Rejoin Match’ option in the main Versus menu. Rejoining and completing the match will result in no penalties.”
A bunch of other fixes and adjustments are on the way, which are listed below:
– Player Cards have been re-designed to take up less visual space
– Player ammo and reloads are now visible in the Spectator Mode UI
– Crosshairs are now visible to Spectators
– Respawn timers are now displayed on Player Cards
– Weapons holstered onto a player’s back can now be seen in Spectator Mode
– ‘K’ keyboard button now removes spectator inputs UI and/or the black bar altogether
– ‘L’ keyboard button toggles Player Cards to the far edges of the screen or normal positioning
– ‘V’, ‘B’ and ‘N’ keyboard buttons now jump to specific Escalation hill battle cameras
– Fixed an issue with X-Ray vision not rendering as intended
– Made X-Ray a ‘toggle’ rather than ‘Press-And-Hold’
– Fixed the ordering of players in Competitive UI to match the Lobby Order
– Pressing B while holding Jump Cam now cancels a pending Jump Cam
– Added new mapping for specific face buttons for specific camera modes, listed below:
- Gamepad ‘A’, Keyboard ‘Z’ -> Switches to Player or Follow Cam. If already in Player Cam, switch to Follow Cam and vice versa. Last used mode is saved as your preference when switching back to Player/Follow Cam from other modes and when using the Jump Cam
- Gamepad ‘X’, Keyboard ‘X’ -> Switch to Ghost Cam
- Gamepad ‘Y’, Keyboard ‘C’ -> Switch to Battle Cam
– Skill ranking will now be visible again at the end of match scoreboard
– Added ‘Spawns Swapped’ UI when spawns flip in Versus
– Increased the Energy cost of the Hammer of Dawn Strike in Horde
– Increased Escalation Win and Loss bonuses
– Increased Escalation Win Bounty Rewards
– Tuned criteria and rewards for King of the Hill Bounties
– Fixed an exploit that allowed players to teleport Energy to their position in Horde
– Squad Members can immediately see when they have been removed from a Squad
– The ‘Horde Skills’ UI Notification alerting you to new skills now works correctly
– Horde Skill cards can now be equipped and unequipped in the Horde Skills inventory
– Added UI notification to show new Cards in your collection when opening Gear Packs
– Improved UI on Turret Heat bar
– Improved performance when switching tabs in Card view menus
– Added slider to control how long text chat remains visible after a message
– The Longshot can no longer shoot through walls if positioned through a 90 degree corner
– Added a Duplicates Only filter to the Inventory Menu
– Fixed an issue where audio slowly cut out in Horde
– Fixed an issue allowing grenade effects to continue into the next round in Versus
– Removed an exploit allowing users to break the map boundaries in Horde on Foundation
– Fixed an issue that allowed players to respawn out of the map boundaries in Horde
– Fixed an issue where offline customization would reset if user changed characters
– Miscellaneous fixes and improvements