Studio Wildcard, despite their background legal battle as of late, have managed to update the Xbox One version of Ark: Survival Evolved last night. The patch, 733.0 adds in new features that are currently available on the PC version, including Extinction mode servers.
Extinction mode sounds like the kind of thing that will just aggravate the player base, but as long as you know what it is before you hop in, you might find it rather interesting. In an Extinction server, gameplay time is limited by a giant meteor that can be seen in the skies above. The longer you play, the bigger that meteor gets, signifying its due impact on the Ark planet in which the game takes place. You will eventually die, but it’s all about how much progress you make in the space of time you are alive. You get badges of accomplishments for your success, but it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to stop the inevitable from happening!
“These time-limited servers are a great way for new players to start on a level playing field and a challenging gameplay choice for those who want to see how far they can progress before the end of days! Participants will earn badges to mark their accomplishment,” Studio Wildcard explained.
Explained via Inquisitr, :ARK: Survival Evolved players have the new Snow and Swamp Caves to explore with this update. Survivors will not only have to contend with high-level creatures such as Yetis, Giant Scorpions, and Giant Bats, but the environment of the caves as well. The Snow Caves are brutally cold and will require Fur Armor or Riot Armor. For example, the water is so cold it will cause damage. Additionally, it gets even colder the deeper you venture in the cave.”
New creatures have also been added to the game, and of course, they’re tamable. They include the Woolly Rhino, the armored Dunkleosteus, and the black pearl dropping Eurypterid. The latter of the two are found in the oceans surrounding your environment.
Other fixes and updates to the Xbox One version of Ark include:
- All PC Content & Fixes Through PC v238 (such as “New Cave-Dungeons: Snow and Swamp. New Creatures: Woolly Rhino, Eurypterid etc)
- All-New “Extinction Event” Servers, which reset after each month, with an in-game countdown! (these are additional brand NEW servers, not existing servers)
- Improved game framerate by approximately 10% (rendering & cpu)
- Fixed Bug: Focus is now NOT on the Leave Tribe button when opening the Tribe Menu, also added a Leave Tribe confirmation dialog.
- If you get stuck underground, you now teleport back above ground.
- Mammoth colorization fixed
- Timer values that were resetting to 0 on “Reset Options” now reset to their correct value
- Server administrators can now specify a list of administrator users to have access to the full set of administrator (console) commands, as on PC. Singleplayer/Non-Dedicated hosts always have this option. If you have administrator access, all PC console commands can now be inputted at the Pause Menu.
- Server Options now have edit boxes for inputting direct arbritrary values.
- Spyglass now works properly in splitscreen.